Sunday, May 3, 2015

Remembering My Using Days...."Vacation" time aka How Do I Take Enough With Me?






So about 2 years ago, a friend of mine had complimentary tickets on an Greek Island yacht cruise.  At this point in my life, I had lost my job, my apartment, and I was in debt.  I was living with mom and dad (gotta love your parents, I can cry now just thinking about what a disappointment I am to them).  My friend didn't know the extent of my heroin addiction at that time.  I was only snorting at this point.  Of course, this is a situation an addict dreads but every now and then, it happens.  I was going to be away with no source.  I have never had a problem scoring drugs in my life...coke is everywhere and so is pot, but these are (more or less) socially tolerable drugs.  Prior to becoming a heroin addict, I always loved the challenge of scoring in a different country, picking up nuances that let you know "hey, I'm that guy, what you need?"







Heroin is different though.  The former mentioned drugs, I can live with or without.  My world will not fall apart if I don't have blow or I'm not smoking pot, but if I am 12 to 18 hours without an opiate in my body, its approaching midnight on the doomsday clock.  I have never had luck scoring heroin outside the U.S.  Unless I'm going to SouthEast Asia, I will be shit out of luck.  In the time before I was set to leave, I was brainstorming ways to smuggle my needed drugs with me.  I was leaving for about 10 days, and my plan was to ween off heroin in the first 5 days, and then have a mild withdrawal.  So I bought about a brick worth of heroin and I also decided to bring some coke since...well....why not?Prior to going through security, I thought to myself that if I were to get caught, I would be fucked royally.  In my head, I would let them know the truth.  I'm not a criminal, I do not want to sell this, but this is my medicine, for better or worse (minus the coke).  By a miracle of God, I made it past security and celebrated.  I told my friend "look at me, I'm so fuckin cool."  Yes, I'm a real hero aren't I?  I did a lot more than I should have, prior to getting on the flight.  The coke was all gone (I didn't really bring that much with me) and the heroin had a nice dent in it.   Damn, that airplane ride I did not remember a thing besides that it was so comfortable.  I must have watched the same movie about 4 times because I kept nodding out for half hour chunks.  I'm getting triggered just writing this actually.







So the heroin did not last me 5 days, I ripped through it in 2 days thinking that I want to get this shit over with.  My vacation was hell.  I was without hope, without help, emotionally fucked up, and physically weak.  It really hit me how much of an addict I am.  I saw families together, couples, and all sorts of life.  I saw people smiling and laughing and I felt jealous.  That is all I ever wanted in life.  To be truly happy, to laugh honestly and from my soul and not live this theatrical farce I was starring in.   I will never have a family or someone to love.  I will never be happy or smile or laugh.  I will live in a limbo state of misery and comfortable misery until I die.  This is how I used to think.  Sometimes I still think like that.  Right now, I have a lot of clean time, granted with the help of suboxone, but I consider it clean time.  But my mind has been fantasizing about using for about 2 weeks now.  I am very scared that its a matter of when and not if.  
Please understand, its the greatest paradox of all.  I want to stop and be pure and whole again, but the emptiness and loneliness and the purposefulness is a void that is too much.  Even with suboxone and wellbutrin, I feel isolated and alone.











It doesn't matter where I travel to, what "paradise" I am in, where ever I go, if I take my addiction with me, the world is black, and death suffocates my soul slowly and slowly.  As soon as I made it back to the States, in a matter of hours, I was able to cop more dope.  This is truly an amazing drug.  How can it do so much damage but I keep going to it again and again?  How many time in life do I wish I never had tried opiates?   Because of it, its ruined my life.  I can never live a normal life again.  Even if I am sober until I die, there is always that whispering voice in my head that tells me "just once."  How strong can I be?  How can I fight this forever?   I feel quite sad and alone today, I thought this would help, but it hasn't.  Sometimes music helps...today I'm listening to Kool G Rap.  Check out the lyrics to this.  Quite a masterpiece:  Song about the struggles of all types of addictions





No comments:

Post a Comment